Monday, March 10, 2014
Alice Rogers was from Cornwall. Her parents were Joseph Rogers and his wife, Elizabeth Pasco. Alice was christened at Sithney on 10 March 1740, and was the oldest in her family. On 21 June 1765, she married Thomas Rowe at Crowan. They raised their family at Crowan. Their children were Thomas, Elizabeth, Mary, Samuel and Mary H., the latter Mary being our ancestor. St. Crewenna Church of Crowan is pictured.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sithney like this, "SITHNEY, a village and a parish in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands 2 miles WN W of Helston, and 7½ S of Camborne r. station. The parish includes Porthleven chapelry, and is all within Helston borough. Post town, Helston, Cornwall. Acres, 5,898; of which 65 are foreshore. Pop. in 1851, 2,773; in 1861, 3,306. Houses, 657. Penrose, Antron, and Trevarno are chief residences. A preceptory of Knights Hospitallers stood near Helston. Tin and copper ores are worked; and lead ore was formerly mined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £435.* Patron, the Bishop of E. The church is ancient but good. The p. curacy of Porthleven is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £8."
He also described Crowan, "CROWAN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands 3 miles S of Camborne r. station, and 5 NNW of Helston; and has a post office under Camborne, Cornwall, and a fair on 17 May. The parish comprises 7, 239 acres. Real property, £8, 836. Pop., 4, 131. Houses, 824. The property is divided among a few. The manor has belonged, since the time of Richard II., to the family of St. Aubyn. Granite, slate, and copper ore occur. Crowan Beacon is 850 feet high, and commands a fine view. A quondam logan-stone, thrown off its balance by some of Cromwell's soldiers, lies ½ a mile south of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £451.* Patron, the Rev. H. M. St. Aubyn. The church has a tower; contains monuments of the St. Aubyns; and was recently restored. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish."
Click here to see photos of ancient monuments located at Crowan.